The kit, glue, clippers, an old scalpel and an elephant's toe-nail. Oh-- and the mess around is also necessary. It just is.
When making a model that isn't a figure, I feel it's best to break the assembly down into sub-assemblies, I believe they're called-- I learned this from playing with LEGO for just under two decades. I haven't grown up yet.
Let me see...
|The fuselage with stabilizer jets|
|Cockpit, Techmarine pilot is a separate assembly|
|Main jet housings|
|The jets themselves|
When trimming the excess off the parts, you have to go against everything you were taught as a child. Cut towards yourself for better control, and use your thumb to cushion the knife. This does result in cut fingers quite often, but if a job's worth doing, it's worth dying for, so what's a bit of blood spilt here and there?
|What I was meant to do...|
|...What I did instead|
The antennae looked a bit plain, so I used both the aerials from a Land Speeder Vengeance kit I had sitting around; and for the sake of being different I also used a SM scout sniper rifle barrel.
I'm not saying that GW didn't do a decent enough job with their kits, but I simply cannot make a model the way it was meant to be made. My first Stormtalon, I put the rear fin on backwards-- but that was a mistake-- WHAT I MEANT was I need to convert my models, even if it is just sticking extra bits on or a head swap.Otherworld-like wire mesh to my vehicles. After several futile attempts to stick it on properly, I ended up using Greenstuff. It's messy from this angle, but it works.
|If you don't use rubber bands, you'll run into big problems later on...|
For my Techmarine, I found two CSM arms that mimicked the existing pilot arms; one held a boltgun and one came with a heavy bolter. I chopped the hands off and gave them the pilot's hands.
And that's that, for now. I dry-fitted everything for the photo. Note I changed the targeting array also. I'll assemble and paint it later, and hopefully decide on the sponson weapon.