Wednesday 17 May 2017

Entry for a painting competition





Throne, but I really should have chosen a better backdrop than this...  Oh well!  So here's my entry for a little painting competition held over at the 30K G+ community over the last 30 days.  Entrants were given a randomly selected legion, and as much as I was hoping for a World Eater or an Imperial Fist I was allotted a Thousand Son!  Certainly something to stretch the mind, seeing as the scions of Magus never really appealed to me; but as you see, I didn't really try anyway.  Ha!  Red's the most difficult colour to paint, by the way.



















The instructions were a bog standard tactical brother, so I did what I could to make him interesting.  First and foremost, I don't like the eyes on my MkIII helmets, so I take them off.  A sister of silence flamer is nice, and small enough to be one-handed along with a chainsword, something I remember in a lot of classic art.  The bare arm is because I like using skin as a spot colour more than anything.

So there we are!  I guess I am pleased with him, I hope the judge likes him.  Andrew Sharanov is a master at his craft indeed, and I don't want to try and say for one moment I wanted to win at all!  But the prize of a plastic contemptor sounds awfully nice...

***

In other news, I've just put the finishing touches on the jade sisters of silence.  Green's the most difficult colour to paint, by the way.  Again, so glad for commission work, I know now I never want to paint sororitas--of any kind-- as a playable force!  They're just so damn fiddly.


Competitions are so fun.  Especially when I actually get around to participating.  Maybe I should organise one, I could at least rustle up a decent set of trophies...

Bye bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. A Blanchitsu (...DPowerchitsu...) competition? I'd sign up for that! Also; yellow: the most difficult colour to paint. I have never done it, but I just know that when I do I'll be clawing out my eyes like Sam Neill in Event Horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, yellow's a breeze if you lather it in enough typhus corrosion! It's all down to what you're used to, I guess. I for one haven't been painting DA since high school ;)

      Delete