Tuesday 31 October 2017

Imperial knight #5 milestone

Here he is!  Gearish Rose, the third Cadmus IK to walk off the altar this year.
Yeah, posing was quite a feat, I'm sure, but I felt a lot more comfortable with painting... probably because Gearish is a lot dirtier than his siblings.

The wake of butchery Gearish has carved through the annals of Cadmus history is startling in contrast to the glory his more reserved siblings seem to simply radiate; ingrained malice with the towering intelligence of his family, coupled with the burning desire to match the legend of his Astartes elder brother makes Gearish a terrifying prospect on the battlefield, almost as much a threat to his allies as the foes his guns destroy piecemeal.

The melta/battle cannon are magnetized above the elbow, a far easier-- if more bits-heavy-- prospect than my first attempts at magnetizing the muzzles.  It certainly helps having spare IK kits to hand.

Joe asked for some Alpha legionnaires for victims of what we started calling "The Stomp", they were a lot of fun.  This must be the most 30K I've done so far!  I know, I'm an idiot... 

And like his knight, Gearish himself is as mad and grimy as his reputation.  Leaving much of his house's heraldry to rust away, he has instead devoted his energy to such charming personal touches as a rock drill to his preferred stomping foot.

So that's that!  For the record, here are the other two Cadmus IKs of house Rose:

IK the first
And the Lancer

Bye bye for now.

Saturday 21 October 2017

Dreadtober: 1st company vet finished

He's done!  Let's go straight into the photo time!

And here's the original model just for clarification:

And finally, a full family photo!

So that's that, at least for Dreadtober.  Next time you hear about a big project, if it isn't an Imperial Kinght, it'll be a... a... a one of those:

Bye bye for now.

Wednesday 11 October 2017

Dreadtober: 1st company dread

 Between titans and tanks, there's time in the month for a second!  This time I've started with a chaplain dread for something a bit more tame, but he's looking pretty good so far.

 I wanted to give him a lascannon reflecting that of the Amphis' Bane, side-by-side with the heavy flamer in between.  I can't believe I've still got a few centurion weapons left.

 One of the quirks of my real-life work is coming home with odd little things in my coat pockets.  The lascannon nozzles are tricky little sprinkler heads you screw directly into the irrigation pipe.

 To show his age, I added a few Imperial Fist icons, harking back to the legion days.  One off a resin helmet was small enough to fit in the cog mechanicus.

 Sneaky eagle.

And at last I found a use for the Guilliman base!  The toes were cut suitably, and there are pins running right through the base, so no need to worry there.
So that's that!  Next time I think he'll be complete, so stay tuned!


Saturday 7 October 2017

Dreadtober project: Leviathan complete

I think I've found my forte.  I seem to be able to paint dreadnoughts extremely quickly-- that is, in comparison to my ordinary pace of two infantry per decade.

I was a bit on-and-off about using martian ironearth for its crackle effect, the negative pay-off being of course the thickness of the coat required.  Of course, if you were to suggest a more suitable crackle paint, I'd be all ears!
So anyway, here we are!  Maybe I should complete that venerable dread too.  Photo time!

Keeping with the whole Silent Hill theme of my Astartes, just a vanilla helmet just wasn't going to do.  For some reason, this was my replacement.

Yes, those are actual teeth.

You might not be able to see, but the head is a CSM helmet with the eyes greenstuffed out.

The effect of the ironearth is... okay, I'll admit that it's Very, Very Difficult to regulate; somehow I wish I had access to a chemical that distorted the resin, never mind noxious fumes and allergic reactions. I wonder what would achieve that?


And here we are once again, with other family members.  I didn't actually realised the Amphis' Bane was so close in height.

So that's that!  Back to the altar I guess.  Bye bye for now.

Monday 2 October 2017

My dreadtober project: leviathan!

 Oookay!  This has got to be the best October ever-- I've finished the last of the skaven commission to ship off on Thursday, I've got half an IK and two dreadnoughts on the altar and I've been ripped to absolute shreds for my Robute Guilliman model on facebook!  But never mind, that's not what I'm posting for today, it's Dreadtober!  Just so you know, the event has it's own blog now (slap obligatory link to blog here) to keep things tidy.

Right, my official pledge for this month is a leviathan dread for my Space Marines who've been ignored for FAR too long now.  They aren't a 30K force, and the leviathan isn't really a 40K piece, but my excuse is that they're so old it should be alright.

This fellow's got a grav-flux bombard and autocannon; alas, I couldn't think of any particularly provocative kitbashing, apart from the usual world-tree icon and perfunctory bit of hurricane mesh.

So here he is, after assembly and priming.  Oh, but I absolutely LOVE the sculpt, never mind what I said when it came out!

So that's my "official" pledge, just to be safe, but there's another, smaller chap on the altar too... I'm not so desperate to finish this one-- because well, I've got an IK to finish before December, and a land raider too.  But I still hope to squash in a minute or two between washes for this fellow!

Bye bye for now.